Alison Krauss and Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
source: AUD > Core Cardioid mics > 9v battery box > Sony M1 DAT
transfer: master cassette > CDR > EAC > WAV > FLAC
location: left of soundboard (Sec. 4, Row D)
taper: Doctor Dave
Disc 1 - total time 72:16
02. THIS SAD SONG*
03. ? (instrumental)
04. Alison reveals her obsession with former Foreigner singer, Rochester's Lou Gramm!
05. GOODBYE IS ALL WE HAVE
06. WOULDN'T BE SO BAD
07. "Not only did he lend his singing talents to this movie, he was also George Clooney's butt double!" (Dan Tyminski intro)
08. RAIN PLEASE GO AWAY
09. EVERY TIME YOU SAY GOODBYE
10. BRIGHT SUNNY SOUTH*
11. ? (instrumental)
12. "We don't want anybody listening to us...feelin' good!"
13. IT DON'T MATTER NOW
14. FORGET ABOUT IT
16. "He's had a profound effect on all of us, especially his negative attitude!" (Ron Block intro)
17. 'TIL DARKNESS FADES AWAY(?)^
18. "...the greatest dobro player that ever walked the earth" (Jerry Douglas intro)
19. "When you write instrumentals, you have to dig a little deeper for titles..." - Jerry
20. LIL' RO RO
21. LITTLE MARTHA
22. MONKEY LET THE HOGS OUT
23. ? (Strength in Numbers tune)
24. PASTURES OF PLENTY*
Disc 2 - total time 62:44
01. MY POOR OLD HEART
02. I AM A MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW*
03. "Dan, that's my fantasy!"
04. ? (Jerry tune)
05. "There's alot of turkeys in Upstate New York" (Barry Bales intro)
06. THE LUCKY ONE
07. BABY, NOW THAT I'VE FOUND YOU
08. "Rough & Ready - my personal favorite!" (Larry Atamanuik intro)
09. WHEN YOU SAY NOTHING AT ALL
10. IF I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER
11. OH, ATLANTA
13. YOU WILL BE MY AIN TRUE LOVE (Alison and Dan)
14. DOWN TO THE RIVER TO PRAY
15. "We'll say goodnight with this one - from Ron, myself, Dan, Barry, Jerry and Larry!"
16. A LIVING PRAYER
Alison Krauss - fiddle, lead vocals
Dan Tyminski - acoustic guitar, mandolin, lead vocals*
Ron Block - banjo, acoustic guitar, lead vocals^
Jerry Douglas - dobro, backing vocals
Barry Bales - standup bass, backing vocals
Larry Atamanuik - drums, backing vocals
Comments: Wow - what a night of fine music this was! We had great seats on the floor, with a clear line of sight to the stage, just left of the soundboard (and a row closer, so technically I guess this is a FOB recording!)...there was a bank of elevated speakers aimed directly at us, and although the sound was very good, it seemed a bit boomy (yet the bass was lacking)...I guess the DAT deck and decent mics can make all the difference, because the recording has plenty of bass and very little of the boominess we experienced that night - hooray for modern technology!
I was surprised to hear Alison introduce each band member with some good-natured joking, although on some occasions (like the 9 minutes with Barry Bales), it dragged a little...but that's a minor complaint - the excellent music more than made up for it!
During the encore break, 2 large microphones were set up at stage left - the kind the bluegrass oldtimers used, where the singers all congregated around a single mic...we wondered if there were going to be special guests, but that just turned out to be wishful thinking! Instead, we got some beautifully sung encores - no complaints here!
Any help with d1t03, d1t11, d1t17, d1t23 and d2t04 titles is appreciated - the Jerry tunes sound familiar, but I just can't place them...thanks!
Enjoy! - Zeb