Aqua Demos and Outtakes, ca 1988 - 1991
source: cass > PC (Soundblaster card 16 bit 44khz) > CD-R > WAV (iTunes secure mode) > FLAC 8
I got a parcel of cassettes some years ago from a dedicated Asia collector who was trimming his collection. In 2002 I used a Fostex 4-track tape deck in good condition to input these tapes into my PC and authored some CDRs for trading. Other than editing, no other work was done to the sound (no noise reduction, speed correction, etc). It is very likely that lower generation sources exist in the trading pool, but I have not seen them in over 5 years of actively looking.
1. Back in Town (intro by Steve Howe) 0:12
2. Studio Jam 6:50
3. Studio Jam 2 3:31
4. Who Will Stop the Rain? (John Payne demo) 4:19
5. Heat of the Moment - (John Payne a cappella) 0:53
6. Only Time Will Tell - (John Payne a cappella) 0:33
7. Sole Survivor - (John Payne a cappella) 0:28
8. Wildest Dreams - (John Payne a cappella) 0:18
9. Lay Down Your Arms (different version) 4:20
10. Burning Chrome (Dusty Road instrumental) 4:00
11. Crime of the Heart (John Payne demo) 4:53
12. Who Will Stop the Rain? (Max Bacon RAIN demo) 4:17
13. Lady of Darkness (Max Bacon RAIN demo) 3:11
tracks 2-3 sound like at least Downes on Hammond, unknown accompanying musicians.
tracks 5-8 sound like clips from backing tapes used in concert to augment the lead vocals.
track 10 is the instrumental version of the track found on the Archiva album.
tracks 12-13 were recorded by Geoff Downes with Max Bacon (of GTR fame) for the RAIN project that Geoff was putting together. He also worked with Greg Lake. Eventually Asia was reformed by Palmer and Wetton and Downes eventually dropped the Rain project to work with them. When Wetton left in 1991, Downes returned to the remnants of the Rain project for inspiration for Asia, and much of the material on Aqua has roots in the Rain project.
I am looking for any and all Asia material, especially:
* the 82-83 studio demos and outtakes in a lossless form!
* "Turn It Around" Dutch promo single (Bullet Proof Records, 1996, Holland, IRS 988.206)
* I am also looking for Icehouse material, live shows, rare tracks, etc.
If you can help, contact me at erik_1099 at yahoo dot com.
Please do not convert to lossy formats like mp3 except for personal use. Please do not sell.
Please support Asia and Geoff Downes by purchasing their officially released albums.
See the official Asiaworld website (www.asiaworld.org) for more information about Asia, including how to get the official Asia biography "The Heat Goes On", now in its 2nd edition.