Dave Van Ronk; Fiddler's Dream Coffeehouse, Phoenix, AZ; Oct. 12, 2001.
Dave Van Ronk is described by Bob Dylan's biographer Robert Shelton as a "walking museum of the blues" for his encyclopedic knowledge. His first solo album was released in 1959 by Folkways, and his last in 2004, posthumously, by Smithsonian Folkways. It's titled "And the tin pan bended and the music ended ..." and is well worth the 15 bucks.
Though by the time of this performance his voice had lost some of its former power, his guitar work was as strong as ever. Here's the track list:
1. You Been a Good Old Wagon (Clarence Williams)
2. Don't You Leave Me Here (Jelly Roll Morton)
3. Did You Hear John Hurt? (Tom Paxton)
4. Jelly Jelly (trad.)
5. Candy Man (the Rev. Gary Davis)
6. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (Jimmy Cox) - short cut in guitar intro.
7. One Meatball (Josh White?)
8. Sporting Life Blues (Brownie McGhee)
9. Buckets of Rain (Bob Dylan)
10. What You Gonna Do When Your Meat Runs Out? (Josh White)
11. Come Back, Baby (trad.)
12. St. James Infirmary (trad.)
13. The Urge for Going (Joni Mitchell)
Thanks to Matt for this fine show.