Quicksilver Messenger Service
San Francisco, CA
11/5/66 Sets I & II
Soundboard ? > ? cassette > DAT > CD > Plexwriter PX-W4824A extraction (EAC v0.9 beta 4) > sector boundary verification (shntool v1.01) > level 8 FLAC encoding (Flac Frontend v.1.7.1 etree edition).
Single Disc (15) 76:23
01. Dino's Song [3:12] [0:02]
02. Hair Like Sunshine [4:55] [0:43] (1)
03. I Hear You Knockin' [3:34] [0:48] (2)
04. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You [4:28] [0:11]
05. Smokestack Lightning [11:37] [0:54]
06. If You Live [5:33] [0:04]
07. All Night Worker [3:50] [0:06]
08. [0:57] Got My Mojo Workin' [4:08] [0:32]
09. You Don't Love Me [2:40] ->
10. Suzy Q [3:38] [0:16] (3)
11. Hoochie Coochie Man [5:18] [1:08] (4)
12. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You [4:30] [1:09] (5)
13. Gold & Silver [2:09] [0:51]
14. Stand By Me [4:18] [0:56] (6)
15. Pride of Man [3:44] [0:08]
- Clean but oversaturated soundboard. Based on the provenance and on the level of hiss, I would guess that the true lineage is MSR > C > D > CD, but I cannot confirm that.
- The fact that Babe I'm Gonna Leave You appears in both "sets", and comment #4 (below) make it seem likely that this material comes from more than one date, though I have no idea whether or not QMS at this stage
might have played the song twice in one night (e.g., in early and late shows).
- I have some questions about the order of the songs for the late show. The order in which they appear here corresponds to the order written down on the labels of the digitized cassettes, but *not* to the actual music on the cassettes, which was as follows: Hoochie Coochie Man, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Gold & Silver, Stand By Me, Pride of Man, Got My Mojo Workin',
You Don't Love Me -> Suzy Q. I was encouraged to keep that order, but have decided to put things as they were originally labeled, for one single reason: the banter corresponds much more closely to the written order than to the actual order on the tapes. This is most clearly true for banter #6 (before Pride of Man). Also, the tuning before Mojo Workin' seems consistent with the start of a set/show. But not a note of this material was edited, so one can still re-arrange the material as originally laid out.
Banter Notes (approximate):
- (1) "It's called Hair Like Sunshine, it's written by Jack Sheldon (?). Do a song that Jimmy wrote next called 'I Hear You Knockin''."
- (2) "Do a folk song next called 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. A real honest-to-God folk song." "Folk rock, is what it is." "Well ... try to keep up on everything."
- (3) We'd like to dedicate this first song to Muddy Waters. It's called "I Got My Mojo Workin'.'"
- (4) "We got a request to do a song called 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You'."
- (5) "We'd like to do a song now called 'Acapulco Gold & Silver'. It's a [sic] instrumental, nobody ever sings on it."
- (6) "We're gonna do one more song, and then, uh, this thing's gonna be over, and it's called 'Pride of Man'. It's written by Hamilton Camp,
and it's about, uh, it's about some kind of religious thing. I don't know. I don't wanna get involved." "See, see, last song. After this everybody, good night."