1978-03-xx* Roslyn, New York unknown hotel (Hunter's room)
Interview by Denis McNamara for 92.7 WLIR-FM Garden City, New York (M?-FM)
"Sunday At 9:00" radio program -expanded edition- (3 shows/parts)
"A Conversation With Robert Hunter"
~Complete interviews but with NO MUSIC included here~
**Breaks below are NOT included as they contained officially released music**
02. Stamford days / The Crescents / songwriting starts / meets Garcia
03. Garcia duet gigs / David Nelson trio / Mother McCree's / Alligator/China Cat
04. album chronology introduction
05. Anthem Of The Sun & Aoxomoxoa / Dark Star during Rio Nido gig / St. Stephen
----break for St. Stephen----
06. Live Dead -> The 11 / lyric publishing
07. Workingman's Dead -> Uncle John's Band
----break for Uncle John's Band----
08. Dire Wolf / New Speedway Boogie / Cumberland Blues / Casey Jones
09. American Beauty & Europe '72 / album credits / on the road again
----break for Hunter playing "Box Of Rain"----
10. Sugar Magnolia with some guitar bit & alternate lyrics
11. Truckin' extra verses, etc.
----break for Truckin'----
12. Dead bandmember -> obscurity & the press -> playing with Comfort
13. Playing In The Band
----break for Playing In The Band----
14. Playing In The Band / The Pump Song -> The Greatest Story Ever Told
----break for The Greatest Story Ever Told----
----break for Birtha----
16. writing for the Dead or solo albums?
17. 1st Garcia solo album -> Bird Song / Sugaree
----break for Sugaree----
18. Deal / Comfort / The Wheel
19. fame/Jefferson Starship/Harp Tree Lament/Manhole/It's Only Music/Come To Life
----break for Jefferson Starship - Tumblin' (from Red Octopus)----
20. Spitfire unissued original title track "Night Hawk" / Starship history
21. lyricists -> Grace Slick / Patti Smith / Bruce Springsteen
22. Bob Weir Bomb's Away / Cat's Under The Stars
----break for Cat's Under The Stars (title track)----
23. Ruben & Cherise----
----break for Ruben & Cherise----
24. backtrack to Round Records / Wake Of The Flood songs
----break for Eyes Of The World----
25. Tales Of The Great Run Runners album
----break for It Must Have Been The Roses----
26. Tales Of The Great Run Runners cont. / Blues For Allah songs -> Crazy Fingers
----break for Crazy Fingers----
27. Blues For Allah" medley information
----break for Blues For Allah medley ----
28. Blues For Allah continued
29. backtrack to Mars Hotel -> U.S. Blues
----break for U.S. Blues----
30. London -> Ripple / Brokedown Palace / To Lay Me Down / Scarlet Begonias
----break for Scarlet Begonias----
31. Scarlet Begonias cont. & Friend Of The Devil / Tiger Rose
32. Steal Your Face / Tiger Rose album
----break for Tiger Rose----
33. Tiger Rose album cont.
----break for Wild Bill----
34. Tiger Rose album vocals / Garcia-Hart-Matthews producers & anti-producer
35. Terrapin Station album
----break for Terrapin Station title track (excerpt?)----
----36. DJ talks with 25 seconds of Terrapin Station in background--NOT INCLUDED--
xxx(TRACK 36 OMITTED- contains officially released music- transcription below)xxx
37. Hunter's solo career / working for the Dead & next Dead LP / closing
Total Time ::: 1:03:40 minus omitted track = 1:03:15
::: Multi-gen but totally listenable FM (it's only talkin'). Check samples for possible indigestion avoidance or a few Bob bytes.
::: Warts: Some multi-gen hiss&muffling. 1st 8 seconds hissy from low volume. Many song omission edits. Sometimes poor miking exacerbated by moving around looking at LP covers. Taper omitted songs while recording with fades & after edits raised slowly so volume corrections increased hiss a bit at track starts.
::: Hotel room interview pre-recorded & finished later with album trax added -> but OMITTED here.
::: *Robert Hunter & Comfort played San Francisco Shady Grove March 6-7 & My Father's Place March 9-10. Tape labeled 1978-03-xx. Seems to be afternoon. Hunter comment may refer to upcoming 1st MFP show, but they also played Commack, NY Suffolk Forum March 12 & then weren't at Boston Music Hall 'til March 14, so could be anytime betwixt March 9&13.
::: Hunter apparently played 1or2 songs live in room & those weren't recorded by this taper except 1 sample.
::: Interview used album issue dates as a guideline, but doesn't stick to it & original show must've been at least 3 hours.
::: Unclear if this was 3 "expanded programs" or a single re-broadcast all-in-one "expanded edition".
::: 'twould be wonderful to get an upgrade. Almost surely one of you -Rob- reading this -Berger- has a better copy.
Recording Information ::: WLIR-FM Studios pre-recorded stereo broadcast -> unknown stereo recording equipment -> off-air master tape -> unknown analog only (probably) generations -> unknown generation Maxell XLII-90 cassette, Dolby B on.
Playback 2013-01-04 ::: Maxell XLII-90 cassette on Nakamichi 680ZX cassette deck, Dolby B on, azimuth & speed adjusted (pitched!) for individual recording, heads cleaned & demagnetized -> Sony Linear PCM Recorder PCM-M10 (LPCM 44.10kHz/16bit WAV files) -> computer -> Audacity [normalisation to remove DC offset, channel/phase alignment, fades worked on, some glitches repaired, volume adjustments, NO equalisation] -> CD Wave (track splits) -> flacs (Trader's Little Helper) -> yr ears. First uploaded week of 2014-04-19.
Line-up ::: Robert Hunter - voice ~spoken music history lesson~ // Denis McNamara - WLIR-FM DJ (interviewer).
Nothing here ever commercially released to my knowledge. If I'm wrong, please advise & I'll take the offending trax offline.
DimeTravel 019 ::: Thanks to the original taper & traders! ::: Corrections welcome ::: An important document for me as this is in the midst of what I consider Hunter's performance pinnacle prowess & he's just at the end of a prolific decade of writing some of the 20th century's most important lyrics - a LOT of them. Some insight here & we could wish for more, but there isn't much directly from this era with Hunter talkin' in person. It's a funny interview for him at the time as he's trying to get back on his feet as a name apart from the Dead (& with his band Comfort not playing many songs the Dead did of his live), but he's caught in his Dead-connection fame. It's completely intertwined in his life & the DJ sets up the interview to mostly go thru Dead LPs, having him mention something about a number of the more well-known Dead tunes. Pretty cool but at almist every point I wish he would go further into it. Too much in too little time eve tho' there's more than ah hour of talkin'. At the time the interview would have seemed lacking a bit for how little Hunter talks about his own material & Comfort. But in those days I would have been equally fascinated by the Dead info. These days, it seems absolutely sad that more isn't about Hunter's "non-Dead" material & Comfort themselves... On the road with an 8 piece band playing clubs - fine times & they were playing outstanding, energetic music. Listen, enjoy, show appreciation, share, give, spread peace. Yers truly, Knees
OMITTED TRACK 36 - AUDIO TRANSCRIPTION ::: 25 seconds of with "Terrapin Station" album track in background while DJ talks. Denis McNamara, "That's clearly(?) an awful lot of music and there's no denying your contribution has been immense to the type of music that I personally play on the radio & a lot of people have been effected by over the last 10 years. What does it do to you as you approach a career of your own going out & doing some touring now?"
Support the artist!
Do whatever you want with it except sell it, 'cause that ain't cool!