Band: Zappa Plays Zappa
Venue: Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Toronto Ontario Canada
Date: Saturday October 19, 2013
Taped/Seeded by: jmz93 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lineage: DPA 4061's(short grids) > CA 9100 pre > Sony PC-M10 24/96 > Sonar > Sound Forge > FLAC
00 - intro (1:06)
01 - The Gumbo Variations (10:37)
(Roxy and Elsewhere)
02 - Penguin in Bondage (5:38)
03 - Pygmy Twylyte > Dummy Up (8:48)
04 - Village of the Sun (3:18)
05 - Echidna's Arf (Of You) (3:53)
06 - Don't You Ever Wash That Thing (10:25)
07 - Cheepnis (4:47)
08 - Son of Orange County (7:16)
09 - More Trouble Every Day (8:14)
10 - Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)19:51) (
11 - Florentine Pogen (10:59)
12 - Teen-Age Wind (2:50)
13 - Teenage Prostitute (2:39)
14 - The Black Page #1 and #2 (11:47)
15 - Flakes (8:42)
16 - Broken Hearts Are For Assholes (3:49)
17 - Wonderful Wino (
18 - I Come From Nowhere (9:00)
19 - Cosmic Debris (6:03)
20 - encore crowd (2:24)
21 - The Duke of Prunes (Orchestral Favorites version) (5:03)
22 - Muffin Man (
Total Time: 2:38:02
Zappa Plays Zappa (current line up):
Dweezil Zappa - lead guitar, vocals
Scheila Gonzalez - saxophone, flute, keyboards, vocals
Ryan Brown - drums, vocals
Ben Thomas - lead vocals, trumpet, trombone
Chris Norton - keyboard, violin, vocals
Kurt Morgan - bass, vocals
* Can someone name the guest vocalist on "Wino Man"?
Dweezil Zappa Guitar Clinic, recorded October 19, 2013, Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Toronto Ontario Canada.
This was recorded in a somewhat noisy environment with omnidirectional microphones. You'll benefit greatly if you check this out on headphones.
I tried to divide the recording up where the focus seemed to shift or Dweezil moved on to a new concept.
01 - intro and Peaches En Regalia question
02 - Sweep Picking Intro and exercise 1
03 - Sweep Picking Exercise 2
04 - Sweeping, Odd Time and Enclosures
05 - "Po-jama People" Dweezil's Ending Lick
06 - Getting The Most From Just Four Notes
07 - Growing Big Ideas from Small Ones
08 - Outside Notes and Finding Your Voice
09 - Learning FZ's Harder Material
10 - Gibson Zappa Roxy and Elsewhere Tribute SG
11 - The Strangely Compatible Lick
12 - Conclusion
Total Time: 1:23:21
1. The secret word for this night was definitely Josh! I can't imagine what this experience did to his ten-year-old mind. A 20-minute Be-Bop tango was a little too long, but hearing Josh conduct the crowd was worth it!
2. Anybody else have a masterclass recording they'd be willing to share, privately or otherwise?
3. I was right in front of the soundboard, a little left of center between the stacks. I ended up with a left-leaning stereo image, which I tried to correct with Waves S1 and Waves Center. Some 64-bit linear-phase multiband compression was used to tame some peaking around 1.2K and 8.5K. Some overall compression wiht Cytomic's The Glue and limiting with Voxengo's Elephant brought the overall levels up.
4. Sorry about the guy bellowing about seat numbers during "the Gumbo Variations". And, things get decidedly muffled when everybody stands up during "Be-Bop Tango". No surprise there - those carbon-based life forms absorb a lot of sound energy!
This show and the masterclass which preceeded it was one of the most musically enriching and inspirational experiences of my life so far! Yes Frank, music is most certainly "the best". If you enjoy this recording, go see the band when they visit your part of the world!